Friday, May 9, 2014

Writing Through: Thoughts on Faith and Writing



Friday, May 9, 2014

People often tell me they would love to become writers, but they suffer from writer’s block. I usually listen to them for a moment. Then, I shock them. “I don’t believe in writer’s block," I say. To me, writer’s block is letting fear defeat faith. Let me explain.

When I am writing a piece-a blog post, a newspaper article, a poem, a dramatic scene, etc.-I often feel a twinge of fear before I start. I feel inadequate. I feel thoughts and words twirling and whirling in my mind like a tornado. I feel like I can’t write. 

Then, in the midst of my whirlpool, an image of a dryer full of crumpled clean clothes might pop into my head. “I can’t write now,” I say to myself. “I need to fold clothes!” 

I might notice a pile of junk mail on the counter. “Don’t write now,” the papers seem to say. “We need you to spend your time over here throwing us away.” Do I dare complete a chore instead of writing? If I do, I will have folded clothes and clear counter space, but I won’t have the piece written.

So, what I’ve learned to do is write anyway. Write through. Write to the other side. No matter if you think what you’re writing is the worst string of words you’ve ever put together. Write, write, write!

Sometimes, I break it up a little and write a paragraph or two and then do a chore. Completing the chore after I’ve started writing helps me think through the rest of what I want to say on paper.

Another helpful tool I use often is my journal. I try to write three pages long hand in my journal every morning to stay fresh and flexible as a writer. On mornings I don’t journal, I feel frustrated and uptight. On mornings I do journal, I breathe freely like I’ve just stretched warm muscles at the end of a long run.

                                A picture of my journal entry in progress from May 6, 2014.



                               Several of my journals stacked on a table on our back porch.

To me, writing though is like exercising faith. We all use faith every day, don’t we? I am talking about practical faith and spiritual faith. An example of practical faith is feeling confidence your coffee maker will work and produce fresh java for you each morning. An example of spiritual faith is putting your hope in a force bigger than yourself. For me, spiritual faith is an integral part of who I am because I am a Christian. My faith in God grows the more I exercise it through prayer, Bible reading and serving others. 

Just as I utilize my practical and spiritual faith each day, I am also learning to use my writing faith. The antidote to fear is faith. I try to take risks and write in genres I’m unaccustomed to. I try to read fiction or poetry if I’ve been reading too much non-fiction. I go on hikes, see plays, take in a concerts, talk to five-year-olds and 95-year-olds!  

So, the next time I hear someone tell me they have writer’s block, I might say, “No, you’re afraid. Live a little, take a risk and write through!” 

Here are some questions to consider:

1.       Do you currently write in a journal? If so, what benefits have you noticed from it? If not, why not?

2.       Do you ever feel fear when you’re preparing to write or while you’re writing? Want to share a specific example?

3.       What do you have faith in? When you feel your faith faltering, what do you do?

4.       What risks have you taken in the last month? Last six months? Last year?

Want to share answers or start a conversation? Please comment below or shoot me an e-mail. I’d love to hear from you.

~Nancy
nancyleebethea@gmail.com




2 comments:

  1. Writing in a journal. Writing through. Hmm. So far, I'm a bit different. I don't write long-hand in a journal or anywhere else. But that's because I cannot read my hand writing. Well, I can read it, but it's difficult.

    What I prefer to do is to think about ideas for my novel's characters. These are usually small "nuggets" of an idea. It will grow and connect with other "nuggets." What do my characters want? Where is it at? What are the obstacles to getting it? Do I need to invent additional obstacles? (Usually, yes! [More nuggets.]) What does the character have to do to get from Point A to Point Z to achieve the goal? And what happens to her between those points?

    Eventually, an idea gels into a workable starting point. I usually have several of these starting points for different characters, events, whatever. At this point, I write them down in a doc. file. Many of these ideas get written down. Most all of them are not connected with any other in any way. More thinking is required. Eventually, some of these separate ideas start lining up in my head. A lot of them don't. After a while, I see a "path" to write along which connects a few of them. However, this does not always work. More playing with the ideas follows. But eventually, an established path (plot line) sets up so I can get Person 1 through obstacles 1A-1Z. On another plot line, Person 2 is working toward a goal that goes through obstacles 2A-2Z. For there to be an interesting story the Reader will enjoy, some of these situations for Person 1 coincide-collide-conflict with the situations of Person 2. The fun part is figuring this out.

    And sometimes, the characters simply stand up in my head and tell me what to write. They take over the narrative! In short spurts, that is. I have to do everything else.

    But once I write something down, I bring it to you guys for critiquing. (Ouch!)

    ~Richard New

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard,
    Thanks for sharing your process. It sounds both creative and logical. I think I'll start using your "nugget" strategy. Sounds like a good one. I also think your 3 C's would work (coincide-collide-conflict) for some of my characters. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete