Friday, May 30, 2014

Writing New



Friday, May 30, 2014

I love to learn new things. 

In 2012, I learned to knit. Several scarves, blankets and hats later, I’m hoping to add stuffed animals to my yarn repertoire this summer.  

In 2013, I began learning the violin. (CCWW member Robert O. takes violin lessons too. Way to go, Robert).  Here’s a picture of my sister and me playing at a recital earlier in May.


Stephie G. and I playing our violins at a Performing Arts Center recital held at First Baptist Church, Jacksonville, Florida.
This summer, I plan to learn more about blog posts, podcasts and InDesign, among other things. 
  
I love to write new things too. Poems, skits, fiction and non-fiction stretch me sometimes to the point of discomfort. Some questions I ask myself are:  Am I going too deep too fast? Am I blurring the truth? Is the story I’m telling compelling or creative?

Writing New

One way I ‘write new’ is by journaling in unfamiliar places. Yesterday, for example, I took Hayden to the beach.  I wrote in my journal while I watched her splash with a friend.  Here’s an excerpt of my journal entry:

Tide will turn soon – head out for lunch, maybe. Waves hiss and yawn and sigh, misting me with memories and potential. This is reset, the oscilloscope finding white balance. Balancing white. Balancing light. Ball dancing with Light!

I don’t know what I’ll do with the entry. It may stay in my journal forever. It doesn’t matter. What does matter is the entry would not exist had I not written in my journal at the beach.   

I’ve written in restaurants, in airports, at sporting events and in church services.  When I go out of town this summer, I’ll have my journal with me seeking places to ‘write new’.

Questions for you

What new things are you learning? 

What do you plan to learn this summer?

What new pieces are you writing? 

Where will you ‘write new’ today? This week? Next month?

Let’s chat

I’d love to start a conversation with you. Please consider commenting below or adding your feedback to our Callahan Creative Writing Workshop Facebook page. 

I hope you’ll take time to ‘write new’ this summer.

~Nancy
nancyleebethea@gmail.com



1 comment:

  1. Well, blogging for one. I have only done so on our site. I am enjoying the experience.I find it both fun and challenging. I will be teaching drama and music this summer, both of which I love. I will also play the part of a clown for a skit during our summer camp. I have done a lot of acting but this will surprisingly be my first time as a clown. (well at least with an costume and all :) ) I will also be looking for those "writing new" opportunities as they arise.

    ReplyDelete