Friday, May 23, 2014

Attention: Adults!

May 23, 2014

ATTENTION: ADULTS, GROWN FOLKS, ELDERS, well, OLD PEOPLE

This just out:  THEY are on the loose! Be afraid, be very, very afraid! In the language of old, “School’s out, school’s out, teacher’s let the monkeys out!” That’s right, it is that time of year again.  Just when you thought it was safe to go out midday on a peaceful shopping trip or out for a walk in the park, well, you were wrong, they are out there. 


On the flip side, the children often have an extremely different take on this time of year.  They count the days until they are free to roam the countryside.  Summer fever starts early and they are just itching to make a break for it. They are pumped about the prospect of sleep, trips, camp and goofing off in general.   In the words of children everywhere, “No more pencils, No more books, No more teachers dirty looks”.    Let’s just examine this little statement.

NO MORE PENCILS?!  As a writer/artist the thought of a world with no pencils just terrifies me.  I always draw in pencil, so when I erase for the millionth time, no one will ever know.  I mean white-out just doesn’t cut it. It is too obvious.  Thank God for computers, most of the time, but when you want to jot down ideas-a pencil and paper do the trick nicely.  I love pens, too but that is a topic for another day.  And don’t get me started on Sharpies-they are my absolute favorite!

NO MORE BOOKS?!  Are you even kidding me? I love to read, so this is also a frightening statement.  Where else can you travel, find adventure, solve a mystery and not go anywhere at all?  Okay, okay, you can watch TV but it is not the same.  The book is always better, you readers know what I am saying.   And my fellow writers, keep at it because we NEED new material.  

No more teachers dirty looks!  Well, as a teacher who happens to love children, I kinda get this one!  Some teachers seem to love to inflict pain upon their students. Others are just worn out and tired from all of the shenanigans.  But there are those great teachers out there, who change kids’ lives for the better. So lighten up, teachers and kiddos straighten up so there will be no need for the dirty looks.

SUMMER, sounds good, right? Makes you want to go to the beach or maybe, Disney World?  Personally I enjoy Universal Studios Islands of Adventure because I like all of the roller coasters. Yes, I know, some people never grow up but, hey, it’s fun.  Other than the heat and long lines these places are great.  It seems like when I go, for some odd reason, it usually rains. Sounds bad, huh? Well, actually it kind of works out good, because people leave and then the lines are shorter.  So yes, go ahead and make lemon meringue pie out of those lemons. There may not always be a bright side, but if you look hard enough you can find something to be thankful for.
                                        


 My summer is spent working in summer camp and we try to keep it fun for the kids.   We are creating a Circus theme this year, which is probably pretty accurate, since working with kids sometimes makes you feel like you are already at the Circus.  I love what I do and kids are super fun but they do keep you on your toes.   



So here are some questions for you:

What do you plan to do or write this summer?

Are you planning any adventures?

What was the worst summer you experienced? Could you have done things differently?

If money and time weren’t an issue, where would you go this summer?

What books do you plan on reading this summer?

**Feel free to leave an answer or a few thoughts in the comment section below or on Facebook.**


Wishing you and your family a terrific summer full of fun and pie! 






~Lisa M. Crosby

2 comments:

  1. To me, summer means relaxing the schedule-staying up later, sleeping in some mornings and taking trips. This summer, our family is planning a couple of road trips. Though I enjoy flying, I love road trips because you see, smell and taste this wonderful country we live in. Last summer, we stopped at a general store in Northeast Georgia and bought frozen lemonades. Good stuff! Summer also means more time for reading. I'll be reading about blogging and podcasting, among other things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Love summer because... Because it means fun!!! I Love SUMMER!! summer is so relaxing, you get to do all sorts of things in the summer like... like swimming! I Love summer!!! From Hayden - Age 6

    ReplyDelete