Monday, May 19, 2014

Taking a Trip Down Memory Lane...and Realizing Just How Old You Really Are

The last couple of weeks I have been caught up in graduation mode.  More this year than last year, because several of my friends have children who are graduating from high school and a couple of them have children graduating from college.  I am so very proud of these kids!  They have worked so hard and have achieved much more academically as high school seniors than I did.  A lot of these children are graduating with their Associates Degree prior to their High School Diploma, thanks to dual enrollment.   Amazing!

What is interesting to me, is that I remember when most of these kids were born.  I've watched them perform in church musicals, school athletic events and band concerts.  Somewhere along the way, they grew up.  But, strangely, I have not aged a bit!  Perhaps time does stand still for Southern women, lol.

At this time, these graduates are planning their futures, dreaming of achieving their individual goals and have a blank canvas on which to work.  If you are like me, some of my goals were not met and my life today is a little different than I had envisioned.  Have you considered writing a piece based on what your life today would have been had it turned out as you expected while you were planning and dreaming at 17?

That's the beauty of being a writer.  We can change history with one swoop of our pens, creating an alternate universe where we are in charge of our destiny.

Until next time, happy dreaming and happy writing!

Best,
Michele
chele0001@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment