Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Sound: The Forgotten Sense?



Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Are you listening?

When writing, do you pause and listen? I’m sure you listen to your version of The Muse, but I’m talking about listening to sounds around you?

Right now, for example, I’m writing at home. As I pause and listen, I hear the whir of the ceiling fan, the hum of the refrigerator, the occasional click of the heating element on the coffee pot.  

Including sounds in writing can make our pieces more authentic and more pleasing for our readers. 

 As a musician, I often hear rhythms in common sounds. Car blinkers, for instance, beat a regular tempo. Hayden and I often sing or rap to the blinks as we drive around.  Makes the car ride much more fun!

I also love to listen to sounds in nature. We just bought six outdoor chairs. This summer, Hayden and I have spent time outside in the evenings having ‘conversations.’ After popsicles, we often talk about books we’re reading for the summer reading program at the library.

She just read one about catching lightning bugs in a jar. Last night, the glowing insects were our topic of conversation. She found a couple of glass jars to house the bugs when we find them. I enjoyed listening to the summer evening. I heard crickets, frogs, breezes, trucks chugging down the road, and more.


I like to go a step further and attempt to identify places by the sounds heard there. Do you? Did you come to our workshops at the Callahan Branch Library or to The Sweet Spot? How would you describe the sounds at both locations?

‘A Sound I’d Never Heard Before’

I’ve been leafing through old journals, and I found this piece from October, 2010. I wrote it based on the 10-minute writing prompt listed above.

                I wouldn’t call it a screech or a crash. It was more like caterwauling. Was it human? Could technology make a sound like there? Probably!
                I decided I’d get out of bed and investigate. I reminded myself not to look at the clock.  I knew it was the middle of the night, and I didn’t want to know what remnant of rest time remained.  I’d already been up twice with my two-year-old daughter.
                I heard the sound again as I stepped into the kitchen. The fridge? No, my husband fixed the ice maker. Neighbors? No, it sounded too close to be coming from next door or across the street. Could it be coming from  my daughter’s room? I had made sure all windows and doors were locked before going to bed.
                “Aaaeeeiiiouuu. Aaaeeeiiiiooouuu.” The sound kept repeating itself. In my dreamlike state, I imagined all five vowels stringing themselves together to torment consonants. “Aaaeeeiiiooouuu.”
                I moved through the living room headed toward my dauther’s room. We  had no cat, no dog, no bird, no hamster, no ferret.
                I stepped into her dark room and heard measured breathing. She was okay, and she was asleep.            
                “Aaaaeeeiiiooouuu.”
                The sound and I were about to meet. I flinched as my right big toe hit a block left on the floor. I turned toward the toy bin. “Aaaaeeeeiiiooouu.”  I heard it again, but it seemed softer.
                I fumbled through plastic cars and Tinker Toys, trying not to wake my daughter. Then, I felt an old hand-held cassette tape recorder I had let my daughter play with that day. With dying batteries, it played the last thing recorded on the tape. It was my daughter’s voice repeatedly trying to say, “Meow!”

Writing questions

1.       How often do you include sounds in your writing? Why or why not?
2.       When reading someone's writing, do you enjoy experiencing sounds they include?
3.       What are your favorite and least favorite sounds?
4.       What are your thoughts about silence?

Writing exercise

During your writing time this week, make a list of 5-10 sounds you hear. Try to include at least three of them in a short piece of writing. Need a prompt? How about the one I used: a sound I’d never heard before….

Please feel free to share your piece, your answers to the above questions or your comments here on the blog or on our Facebook page.

Happy writing!

~Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment