Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Benefits of Attending CCWW



When we started CCWW in July, 2011, we didn’t know if it would fly.

Would anyone show up?  Would our small town support a writing group? If people attended one time, would they return?Questions ran through my mind threatening to shut down the writing group before it ever began.

Has this ever happened to you? You have an idea you think is wonderful. You get excited. You are motivated to make it happen. Then, doubt creeps in from a dark closet in your mind. Maybe someone close to you makes a comment that sends your idea cowering back into the shadows.

If you’re reading this, you know people came. They returned. They even willingly introduced themselves, wrote to prompts and offered critiques to others.

Now, we are preparing to start our fourth year of the Callahan Creative Writing Workshop (CCWW). Yay! Such an occasion prompts me to reflect on the benefits I receive from participating in our group. 

Accountability

I’ve heard many writers talk about accountability. Truthfully, it’s usually easier to do anything (clean the oven, pull weeds, make lasagna, etc.) than write, especially if you’re approaching a deadline. Some of us have a tendency to put off difficult tasks, and writing is hard for me.

Knowing I will meet other writers each week motivates me to get ‘er done. Getting a first draft written (we know most pieces can be improved after we write them) is an accomplishment. I feel a mixture of relief and joy when I complete a new piece.   

Full File Folder

Another benefit is the filling of the CCWW file on my computer with fresh work. I love to look back at Christmas break or during the summer to see the pieces I wrote for our sessions.

The folder also gives me pieces to pull if I want to submit to a contest or to a publisher. Sometimes, I don’t remember I wrote a certain piece until I look back in my folder. 

Camaraderie

Friendships, especially real (not virtual) ones, are gifts. I have made several friends through the writing group. What about you?

It’s nice to meet regularly with a group of people who share an interest (writing), and who live in the same general area.I love watching how members of our group chat and mingle before and after our workshops.
This is what creative writing does to us! Picture was taken after a CCWW spring party in 2013.


Although I was unable to attend, I was happy Lisa C. organized trips with other CCWW members to Spoken Word poetry nights this summer. We have organized other field trips in the past, and we hope to offer more. Of course, if any of you have ideas or want to organize a writerly outing, please do!


Sharing of Information

Another benefit of being in a writing group is learning about publishing opportunities, writing contests and upcoming events in the community. I have learned many things through our writing group I would not have known otherwise. 

What About You?

What are your thoughts on CCWW as we get ready for year number four? Have you found our workshops beneficial? If so, why? If not, why not? 

Do you plan to attend this year’s workshop? 

Fall Schedule

Our schedule this fall is going to be different from past years. Please watch this space. We’ll announce finalized dates soon.

Happy writing!

~Nancy


2 comments:

  1. I am very thankful you were brave enough to start a group! It is super fun! Being in a group such as ours is a great way to build your portfolio of writing. It is enjoyable to look back at the pieces we have written in the past. I am really looking forward to our next session!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete