Monday, February 11, 2013

"The Dreamer" by Lisa Crosby

The Dreamer
Girdles, corsets and petticoats
Wearing this crap really gets my goat.
What evil genius mind
Thought to make things that restrict and bind?
Even as I draw a breath
I fear the outcome might be my death.
But I must watch how I speak
And appear calm, demure and meek.
I need be proper and well-mannered and sweet,
And watch what I think, what I do and what I eat.
There are so many rules to follow.
It's a very hard pill to swallow.
For my family's sake and name
I dare not cause them any shame.
So I stifle my yawns at their droll conversation
And dream to be free in a new found nation.
Maybe this is the dream and someday I'll wake.
I don't know how much more of this life I can take.
But for now I close my eyes 
And imagine a place with wide open skies.
A place where not only the fowls are free
Where you can be you, and I can be me

~Lisa M. Crosby 
Copyright 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment