Friday, February 21, 2014

Hexagons and Artists



February 21, 2014

Hello, writers,

Happy Friday! I’ve been brainstorming ideas for new writing projects this week.

How about you? Do you write every day? Do you have a set writing routine? 

Several people have asked me how and when I journal. So, I'll share my routine.

My journal writing process

I prefer composition books for my journal writing, and I usually purchase lots of them during back to school sales. It generally takes me three weeks to fill one composition book. I use both wide-ruled and college-ruled journals.

My ideal journal writing time is early-around 5:15 a.m.-with a cup of hot lemon water, coffee or tea. Sometimes, I read my Bible before I start writing. Other times, I write first, then, I read. My entries are combinations of thoughts, concerns, to-do lists, prayers and more.

I have no expectation of anyone reading my entries-ever! I write them to help me clarify my thinking and the goings-on of my life.

Here’s an excerpt from my journal dated September 20, 2011:

I didn’t know I could wiggle my ears until I was about 6 or 7. I just did it. Sitting in the living room of the motel my parents’ managed, I wiggled them. My sister, Karin, saw them move.

"Ewwww! What are you doing?” she screamed.

I didn’t know I was doing anything. I just moved them.

“Nancy! You’re wiggling your ears!” After a moment or two, she laughed.

I ran to a mirror atop a wooden bookcase and peered at myself as I lifted my ears up and down.      
     
I don’t remember why I wrote about wiggling my ears, but I’m glad I’ve recorded the memory in my journal.

I hope you’ll consider journaling. It’s a wonderful way to deal those ‘slings and arrows of outrageous fortune’ life brings our way!

In other news, here’s a recap of Tuesday’s workshop.   

Warm-ups

Choosing from prompts below, we all completed a writing warm-up.

1.       Bullets
2.       Yo-yo
3.       Cotton vs. Silk
4.       Bleachers

After a few of us shared our warm-ups, we introduced ourselves, shared good news and started our critique session. By the way, Cameron S. used all four prompts in her warm-up. Nice job, Cameron!

Good News

Richard N. has finished his novel. Way to go, Richard! Robert O. has a new job. Congrats, Robert!

Critique overview from February 18 CCWW

Michele N. began the session reading a poem reflecting on the loss of a loved one. CCWW members said her piece worked because it offered both hope and words to work through immense emotions. Michele’s aunt passed away last week. We offer our condolences, Michele.

I, Nancy B., then shared a prompt-based poem on six roles of womanhood. Members complimented the narrative nature of the piece. Connie W. then shared a poem about Lily Beagle, a dog who looks at the moon. Members said Connie’s descriptions of a powerful moment as well as her connection to the darkness of night and also death worked. Robert O. then shared a role-play script. Members said his stage directions worked because they were well-organized and descriptive.

Lisa C. continued by reading “The Professional Artist,” a prompt-based poem. Members said her misleading title worked as well as her portrayal of unwise choices people make. Thomas E. shared more of Mia’s story. Members said his piece offered a good balance of dialogue and narration as well as good characterization of Mia. Hayden B. then shared “Classroom Pets,” a short story about fish. Members said her piece created tension because they wondered what happened to the fish.

Cameron S. then read a continuation of “The Lost Reality,” a fiction piece. Members said her story held their interest because it presented a character in a coma. Connie K. then shared “Snowy Day,” a non-fiction piece. Members said her details about her youth (such as Simplicity sewing patterns, measuring cloth and riding on the hood of a truck) worked very well. Richard N. finished the session by sharing more of his Dodge story. Members said the comic relief offered by Rossellini helps readers deal with some of the technical descriptions.

Wonderful writing, everyone!

Links of Interest

“Guide,” an inspirational youth magazine, seeks true stories in several categories from adventure to humor.


+++++++++++++

“Glimmer Train” publishes new authors every year

The publication offers a short story award for new authors. A few CCWW members said they were interested in this contest, so we’ll leave the link up for another week.

Next deadline is Feb. 28.


+++++++++++++

Shebooks

Here’s a place to submit writing about women or by women. They publish fiction and non-fiction, including memoir and journalism. Looks like a great market!


+++++++++++++

Fun Photo from CCWW



Prompts for Tuesday, March 11

The first prompt is on a school bus. The second prompt is the housekeeper. You’re free to write in any genre you like (fiction, drama, non-fiction, poetry, etc.). If you’d like to bring a WIP (work-in-progress), please do.

Please keep pieces to 1500 words or less and bring copies if you can.

Looking forward to seeing you March 11 at The Sweet Spot!

~Nancy B.

P.S. I’ve included names of CCWW members who have signed up for our second session (March 11-April 15) in the e-mail sharing this blog link.

No comments:

Post a Comment