Monday, June 29, 2015

Into the Forest...



Monday, June 29, 2015

Happy summer!

Last week, I had the privilege of attending the Florida Forestry Teachers’ Tour held in Fernandina Beach, Florida. I was one of approximately 40 teachers from around Florida who applied for the Tour. 

The three-day event featured guided tours of lumber mills, paper mills, forests, farms and more. We learned types of pine trees that grow best in the Southeast. We also heard from several industry professionals who taught us about sustainability, endangered and protected species, tree growth and more.

In addition to networking with teachers from around the state, I also picked up some history of forestry in Florida. From production of naval stores and pencils in the past to production of lumber and hundreds of wood by-products today, forestry has been and still is a big industry in our state.

Here are a couple of pictures from a lumber mill, which was a stop on our Forestry Tour:




I really enjoyed the opportunity to learn more about forestry last week.

I hope you’re having a great summer.  Since I was out of town for most of June, I’ll begin chipping away at my summer writing goals at the beginning of July. 

What about you? Where are you traveling this summer? What are you writing? 

I’d love to hear from you in the comments section below or on our Facebook page.

Until next time, happy writing….

~Nancy



1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Thank you for sharing Nancy. We also traveled this summer mostly to the beach, my all time favorite place in the world :)
    Summer has brought lots of ideas and new WIP. I am so excited to see what others had being up to when we get together.

    ReplyDelete