Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Dreaming the Night (and Day) Away

A few nights ago while we were enjoying dinner, our daughter regaled us with a dream she had the night before.  Apparently, part of her dream took place in our kitchen and she described our counter tops as a vivid blue.  Our actual counters are white, but more importantly, I asked her if she really dreamed in color, to which she replied with an emphatic "yes, I always dream in color, don't you?"

Every great dream begins with a dreamer. - Harriet Tubman

As I never dream in color, except for a few nightmares, I found this detail about my child intriguing.  I believe that I dream every night and most mornings I can remember many details of the dream content.  Sometimes my dreams have absolutely no rhyme or reason to them, but are based on  something I heard or read a few minutes before falling asleep.  Other times my dreams are clear to the point that I have to question whether what I experienced was a dream or reality.  That is frightening.  But sometimes, I hit the jackpot and the dream inspires a new story.

A dream doesn't become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work. 
- Colin Powell 

Have you ever questioned how many of your writing ideas are the results of dreams?  I have pondered that question this week, as I find myself not only a night dreamer, but a day dreamer, also.  I love watching people and trying to figure out their stories.  Or maybe it is really my story that I want them to have.  A random Facebook profile that I read before I drifted off to sleep resulted in a dream so vivid that I have begun working on a new story.  I cannot wait to share it with you all in the Autumn!

Reality is wrong.  Dreams are for real.  - Tupac Shakur

Here are a few ideas to try during our summer hiatus: 

1.  Try keeping a notebook and pen next to your bed so that you can write down your dreams as soon as you wake up, making you less likely to forget them. 
2.  Find a bench at the mall and people watch. Takes notes and write them a story.
3.  Go to the beach and day dream.  I'm serious.  Day dreaming is awesome with the sound of the ocean, breeze in your hair, cold drink in your hand, soaking up the natural Vitamin D.  

Please take a moment and post your thoughts about this topic to our blog and our Facebook group.  I look forward to seeing you all in the Fall.  Until next time, keep dreaming!

-Michele
chele0001@gmail.com  






1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the tips, Michelle. Nice to "read" from you :)

    ReplyDelete