Friday, July 19, 2013

Sharing writing

July 19, 2013

Why is sharing our writing so scary? I think it's because truth comes out in writing. Sharing truth can be intimidating. What will they think of me? Am I the only one who thinks this way? What if I didn't phrase something the right way?

I've been sharing my writing for a while now, and I still get scared. I try to face my fears, though. Most times when I share, I hear thoughtful comments on my work-comments that cause me to reconsider or defend my work.


Just today, someone called and offered a comment on one of my pieces. She said my piece was "more clinical and less passionate" than some of the others I've written. I wrote the piece in a short amount of time, and I have to admit, it was less creative than some of my other work. Rereading the piece, I agree with her.

What about you? Do you like to share your writing? Have you ever shared a piece and received valuable feedback on it?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

~Nancy

3 comments:

  1. Other than my current fiction project "Rosetta Assassin"--which only two others outside my writing cohorts have seen--I maintain a blog at www.beginningcancer.wordpress.com. This is my honest attempt, to document and express what I feel, think, and experience, as I journey along this unwelcome path. I relate my experiences mainly as a venting outlet, and to let others in a similar boat know what to expect. Comments have been supportive and encouraging, which is a help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, I find it hard to let others read what I write do to my horrible spelling, I takes me weeks to just to get one page spell checked and then I still miss some words and grammar errors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recently, I self-published my first novel on createspace (Amazon.com). My friends and family members told me that they really enjoyed it, but I sometimes wonder what they really thought. A literary agent had my novel for a year and he could not get a publisher to buy it.
    Even though the novel is fiction, it is certainly a part of yourself in places, and that can be an intimidating factor. My writings were graphic and explicit in parts, and I wonder if I shuld have toned it down a little.

    ReplyDelete